April Athlete of the Month!!!
Congrats Alec L.
1. What are your favorite hobbies, talents, skills outside of CrossFit?
hobbies- I really enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, camping, canoeing, swimming, sailing, skiing and snowshoeing. On days with poor weather I like to curl up with a good book and read biography, fantasy, and the classics. i also enjoy sports, singing and playing the Guitar ( I place these under hobbies because I wouldn’t consider myself talented at any of them.)
Talent- I enjoy rocking out some raucous blues harmonica.
2. What motto or phrase do you live by?
The motto I live by is ” The man in the Arena” speech by Theodore Roosevelt. I often recite it before I do anything really tough.
3. What is something we might not know about you ?
I have taken German classes for 8 years and studied abroad in Melk Austria for 2 semesters my junior year of high school. I’m also able to speak and understand some Pennsylvania Dutch (the Amish language).
4. What is your favorite music to listen to while WODing?
For a longer endurance style WOD I enjoy some dirty Dubstep, For the heavier lifts I’m starting like gangsta rap. For a short intense WOD I like some gritty grunge style rock like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, or Queens of the stone age.
5. What recent adventure are you planning?
All of my trips are all in the brainstorming phase but I would like to get out on a long canoeing trip in the Minnesota boundary waters or the contiguous Quetico provincial park. Of course I’m itching to try another Crossfit tournament.
6. Do any of your family members CrossFit? If so, where?
I had a brother who tried Crossfit for a while in Souix Falls, SD. He said it was easy. I told him to make a date with Fran and tell me if he still thought so afterwords.– He did, He doesn’t.
7. Where are you originally from?
I come from Collegeville MN. Its a small unaffiliated town outside of St. Cloud, MN. I’m basically country boy.
8. What is your occupation?
I’m a personal trainer at Anytime Fitness sequoya commons and I love it, and I’m now thinking of going back to school for physical therapy.
9. What is your athletic background?
I played football, hockey and track and field in Highschool, and I still enjoy sports like volleyball, flag football, and doing obstacle races. –Is Frisbee Golf a sport?
1. How long have you been with CrossFit Connex?
About six months now.
2. What is your favorite WOD?
Its a triplet of:
1 1/2 Bwt deadlift
Bwt bench press
3/4 Bwt cleans
3. What is your least favorite WOD?
My least favorite WOD is ” Diane” because I hate HSPUs. Coincidentally it is also my moms name.,sorry mom!
4. What is your favorite lift?
My favorite lift is the Snatch. Not because I am particularly good at it, but because of the hilarious puns that ensue: ” get under that Snatch!” ” That one nice Snatch!” etc….
5. What is your least favorite lift?
Weighted Lunges. Talk about pain in the butt.
6. What is your favorite paleo meal/snack?
7. What is your favorite cheat Food(s)?
Cheating is for loosers!!! Lol Jk, My cheat food is enough beers until I cave in and eat the whole menu at Ian’s. Especially steak and fries.
8. What would your perfect WOD look like?
burpees, snatches, DUS, and oh squats
9. What is one thing you have done at CFC that you never thought you would do?
Watched a girl lift and thought to myself. ” Damn! I wish I could lift like that.”
10. What motivates you during a CrossFit WOD?
If I see someone stop and I keep on going or if I get passed up. It also motivates me to come back to Connex when I see someone about to keel over into a puddle of their own sweat.
11. What do you eat pre/post WOD?
Lean meats and sweet potatoes 2-3 hours pre WOD (sometimes coffee), and Post WOD I drink a whey protein shake with creatine, and I get some more carbs like a banana or sweet potatoes if it was a long WOD.
1. What results have you seen so far in coming to CFC?
My explosive lifts are much better, my endurance is at an all time high, I have better balance and posture, and my friends say that my forearms have gotten bigger.
2. What was you main reason for joining CFC?
I joined for the true crossfit experience and to get a muscle up on the rings, I keep coming back for the community.
3. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Connex?
I was invited to do the Saturday team workout after the intro class. Working out as an individual is fun, but team workouts bring a different dynamic.
4. Tell us a little about then VS now in regard to your performances as a CrossFit athlete.
Before I joined I thought I could crossfit, but I had very sloppy movements. I have improved a lot, but the more I learn, the more I realize I have a lot more to master.
5. Do you have any special or successful CrossFit Connex memories/moments?
My biggest personal achievement was setting a new PR on the Snatch at a Competition after a 12 min AMRAP.
6. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Connex?
The best way to get results is to show up and show up often. I say “show up” meaning that you are there both mentally and physically prepared to give it your all. If you leave knowing that you worked as hard as you could, you will see results. Also don’t compare yourself to others, we all have our strengths and weaknesses and some people have the right genes and have been training longer. Only compare yourself to who you were yesterday.
7. What sort of life changes have you experienced because of CrossFit that you didn’t expect?
I expected to come to Connex and get stronger at my lifts and better at my skills. I didn’t expect to become a part of this awesome community, and enjoy tons of fun activities outside of the box.
8. What does CrossFit mean to you?
setting for yourself seemingly impossible superhuman goals and in the end, no matter the outcome, feeling proud that at least you attempted.
15 OHS (135/95)