What’s up with Fish Oil?
Fish oil is the ONLY supplement that CF HQ promotes and encourages for CF athletes. This amazing little vitamin is packed with an overwhelming amount of benefits.
- enhances heart health by maintaining elasticity of cardio tissue
- helps the heart beat in a strong and healthy way
- ensures efficient heart function so that this key organ will last longer
- increases lean body mass
- increases metabolism by up to 400Kcal/day
- reduced inflammation within muscle and connective tissue
- improves fat burning
- important for cell membrane structure and essential for proper brain function
- improves insulin efficiency
- prevents excessive muscle breakdown
- increases brain health
- improves nervous system function
- contains antioxidants and there benefits
As you can see, fish oil can improve your overall health. However as CF what you will truly appreciate is its ability to help our bodies combat the increase of cell damaging free radicals in our system after strenuous WODs. Adding fish oil to your diet can significantly reduce that oxidative stress that our bodies experience by 20%. It is true that with the decrease in inflammation that fish oil provides we will better be able to recover from WODs and be able to hit it hard next time we are in the box.
So how much should you take? Following link will help you better understand how much you should be consuming.http://whole9life.com/fishoilcalculatorwp.html
It is also important to consider the quality of fish oil you are consuming. It is often true that you pay for what you get. You want to look for pharmaceutical grade fish oil. This is a highly refined product which has had many of the pollutants and impurities removed and has a much higher concentration of Omega-3 fats. They are however very expensive. You can get away with less refined fish oils. Look for ones where EPA and DHA levels when added together are around 50% of the total amount of oil.
One way to test the quality of your fish oil is place the fish oil into the freezer overnight. In the morning cut open the capsules and if the oil hasn’t frozen, then you’re onto a winner. If the oil/liquid is frozen solid – do not use that fish oil!!!
If you are not already taking fish oil, I would encourage you to start. Bottom line – if you are looking to improve your health, better your performance, and decrease the amount of time it takes for you to recover from a strenuous day at CFC, adding a fish oil supplement into your daily nutritional practice may make a great deal of sense for you.
15 min to complete
15 Burpee Box Jumps
5 Clusters (155/115)
15 Burpee box Jumps
* 1 min rest between rounds. Score = total time.